Wednesday, September 21, 2011

say my name

So my name is m3lIna. The m is a nassals what occurs is that you close your lips and breath out your nose and kind of vibrate your mouth. The 3 is a low front. Put together it should sound like a sheep when it says "meeehhhh". However instead of it being extended it is very short and fast so it only sounds like "meh". In order for you to do the "lI" the person has to put there tongue right after there teeth and just let it slide behind your teeth. So far as you say the "m3" your lips should be close and there should be a little vibration and in the "lI" your mouth should be not closed but not fully opened. The n is also a nassal. The person basically places there tongue behind your upper teeth and just let it sit there. The "na" is just basically letting your tongue hang behind your front teeth and then letting it go.

4 comments:

  1. Melina, I know your name lol. It worked for me when I followed your name pronounciation ..Initially, "M" is like a sudden hum, then we part the lips to say "Meh". When we say "lI", the tongue goes up, a little in (back), stays in the middle for a split second & then comes down when followed by "na". Melina, can you say my name?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It prolly worked for me cuz I already knew your name lol. Let's see if we can find a random person to read our transcription explanation. Then, I think, it will determine if we were clear, so they understand :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now I finally know how to spell your name! I shouldn't have anymore issues! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Melina,
    You have the IPA vowel sound backwards! You can get it off the site: http://www.ipatrainer.com/user/ipawriter/
    Are you sure you have the second vowel sound correct?
    How would you describe this to linguists using voiced/voiceless; place and manner of articulation, and onset, rhyme, nucleus, coda?

    ReplyDelete