Tuesday, September 13, 2011

My Language is Unique



                                              My Confusing Language

      I can write and read in Spanish and English. At school I mostly speak English but once in a while I would speak Spanish depending on the person I would speak to. At home most of the time I speak Spanish. If I am not speaking in Spanish, I am speaking in a mixture of Spanish and English. At school and home my English changes but my Spanish stays the same. I try my hardest not to curse or use language that would offend anyone in school. At home or going out with my friends I don't care who I offend or how much I curse. Sometimes I curse without even noticing I am cursing.
     I learned Spanish from a young age. Just like any other child I learned from listening to people talk in front of me and I just started copying them. I always though English was harder to learn than Spanish. I don't know if it is harder for me because it is my second language or because in actuality it is hard. I learned English from watching educational television programs. I arrived to the United States  when I was five years old, I started school and had no idea what the teachers were telling me. So I started looking at the hand signals the teachers gave me and put them together with the words they spoke. I also started asking friends for the definition of words. As I got older and my parents moved to Queens and I changed. I started speaking more slang. I learned slang from all of the kids in my school and the way they used it in sentences.
    I don't believe I have a personathis l language. However, how I speak and express my thoughts is different. In high school, I was not most known for being the small girl with a big voice. I do believe that I am creative with language. I have this bad habit of somehting putting my words together or using slang that my friends and I come up with. For example, instead of saying "to tell the truth" I would say "all jokes aside". Also, I will always have a quote that i would say very often or after a comment that I have no response to. For example, last year my quote was "it is what it is". I also have a unique accent that depends on which language I speak the most that day. It would be most likely a mixture of a Spanish accent with a bunch of attitude and a sweat soft voice. I do believe that the language the person speaks has to do with how they get along with the world. The more language a person speaks the better and more educated they seem. Futhermore, the way they communicate change depending on who they speak to. If a girl only speaks Spanish it's going to be hard for her to make friends with someone that is American unless the person speaks Spanish.

1 comment:

  1. It's tough when you don't realize if you curse! I can relate to you when you speak both Spanish and English at home..at times when I speak too fast a Russian word may be said here and there..so listen in!

    ReplyDelete